Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Eric Clapton and Prince

Last night, Stuart and I had the treat of being able to go and see Eric Clapton in Concert in Seoul. At some point last week I saw him on MTV and was very surprised when an ad flashed up to say that he was playing in Seoul this week. I didn't really expect to get tickets so last minute, but on the other hand I didn't know if he was popular in Korea or not. It seems we got the last 2 tickets, or at least the last 2 in a decent position. I know the picture isn't the best in the world, but it proves I'm not making it up!

The concert was held in the Olpmpic park in one of the halls which was a great venue, but there was no support band advertised so we were wondering who to expect. No one as it turned out... it was all very efficient - the second we sat down, the lights went down and Eric came on, played for 2 hours, and then went off.

I have to admit I don't actually have any Eric Clapton music, except for Layla (which goes without saying really?) but I would guess that many of the Korean audience wouldn't have been that up on his work either. Still, the music was incredible, his band were great, and when he finished with 3 at the end that everyone knew, there were a lot of glow sticks waved (no one actually got out of their seats until the encore) which I took to be a sign of extreme appreciation by the crowd. There was no beer or throwing things at other people, so it was the most civilised concert I've been to. It certainly got a big thumbs up from me and Stu; so bad, but I had to get a picture of this ridiculous sculpture in the Olympic park in somehow...

Thought for the week:
If you kiss a very large gold frog, does it mean that it will turn into a very rich prince?!

Which reminds me, this is a very lucky year in Korea as it is the year of the Golden Pig (and no, I am not going to start kissing pigs... golden, american or any other variety) and a year this lucky only comes around every 600 years or so. Such faith is put in this that there were a much larger amount of weddings last year than usual in preparation for the best year for a long time in which to have a baby; so a baby boom is expected this year... but fear not, I think I will be safe as I appear to be mostly attracted to an inanimate, metal amphibian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home